How does the income tax system work in the Netherlands? We tell you all the key points you have to know.
Do I have to file the income tax return?
Usually you will receive a letter stating that you have to file your income tax return in January. It comes in a blue envelope. If you do not receive a letter you can check for yourself whether you have to file a tax return or not. You can fill it out and check without sending your data. If you complete it and receive more than €16, send it. If it is less than €16, you do not have to send it. In case you have to pay €49 or more, you have to send it as well.
Where do I file the tax return?
You can file the income tax return to the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration (= belastingdienst) online. All you need is your DigiD and personal information like your income, address, phone number, bank account and properties. It is only available in Dutch, so make sure to translate it sufficiently or get someone to help you.
When do I have to file the tax return?
You have to file your income tax return from the 1st of March until the 30th of April. You can ask for an extension, but if you do not make it in time you will get a fine.
step by step
1) Go to www.belastingdienst.nl
2) Scroll down and click on ”Aangifte doen”
3) Go to the section of ”Aangifte 2022 doen – direct” and klick on ”Inloggen op Mijn Belastingdienst”
4) Click on ”Inloggen op Mijn Belastingdienst” again and sign in with your DigiD or Europees
5) Select ”Inkomstenbelasting” and click on ”Belastingjaar 2022”
6) Choose your form
which form to fill in?
- P-form: This form is typically filled out by private individuals. You fill it out if you are a regular resident.
- M-form: The M-form has be filled out for the year you moved to the Netherlands or from the Netherlands to another country.
Fill in all the details
Fill in everything including your personal data, sources of income, real estate, bank accounts, mortgages, expenditure and so on.
If you are not fluent in Dutch make sure to directly translate the website on your browser, if possible. Otherwise, we would recommend using apps like pons where you can easily translate the text on your screen with the camera function.