Are you traveling to university by public transport daily or do you regularly visit cities throughout the Netherlands? Then, we have great ways to save money for you!
You should definitely consider buying a group ticket if you are doing a trip with your friends. Up to seven people can be in one group – the more, the cheaper!
A small overview:
- 2 people: €17,00 per person
- 3 people: €11,33 per person
- 4 people: €9,50 per person
- 5 people: €8,40 per person
- 6 people: €7,67 per person
- 7 people: €7,15 per person
The first step for travel discounts is applying for a personal OV-chipkaart via their website. It usually requires to have a Dutch bank account, but you can fill out a form if you want to pay with a card from another country. After receiving your card you can purchase travel products. Take a look which one is most suitable for you to save money.
Travel with discount:
- Dal Voordeel (€2.50/month for the first three months, afterwards €5.60/month): 40% discount during off-peak hours, at weekends and public holidays
- Altijd Voordeel (€26.70/month): 20% discount during peak hours, 40% discount during off-peak hours, at weekends and public holidays
- Weekend Voordeel (€2.20/month): 40% discount at weekends and public holidays
- Weekend Vrij (€34.95/month): unlimited travels during the weekend
- Dal Vrij (€119.95/month): unlimited travel during the week at off-peak hours and unlimited travel at weekends and on public holidays
- Altijd Vrij (€353.80/month): unlimited travel during peak hours, during off-peak hours, at weekends and on public holidays
- Traject Vrij (price depending on your fixed route): unlimited travel on a fixed route, 40% discount on other routes during off-peak hours, at weekends and public holidays
€15 yearly bus ticket Nijmegen
For those who travel by bus regularly in Nijmegen, the 15 euro yearly bus ticket is a must. Check the following points to see whether you are eligible for it.
- You’re living in Nijmegen
- You’re 18 or older
- You have a personal OV-chipkaart
- You cannot make use of the DUO student travel product
- You don’t earn more than €1.560/month
How to apply for student travel product
If you are working in the Netherlands as an international student for at least 56 hours you might be eligible for the travel product of DUO student finance. Find out how to register for DUO on this blog post.
These tips can help you paying less money than you would with regular tickets. Read about further hacks on how to save money as a student on our blog.